Please note that this position is no longer available. If you would like to be considered for similar opportunities now or in the future, feel free to click "Pursue this Position" and set up a notifier for yourself.
OR - Portland
This is a prime opportunity
for a professional with a few years of copy editing experience to join a top-notch news organization with an eye on the future.
You’ll enjoy an energetic, collaborative culture that prides itself on innovation, and be part of a talented and creative team dedicated to excellence. You will concentrate on our print products, but could work on digital publications in the future, so you should be open to new challenges. We are proactive about helping our people develop professionally and, once you have proven yourself in this role, you might develop the skills to pursue a variety of career paths (curating, pagination, design, etc.) as Oregonian Media Group evolves.
Oregonian Media Group is the most trusted source for news and information in Oregon and Southwest Washington. A digitally focused company, Oregonian Media Group provides content when and where readers want it - online, on smartphones and on tablets - through OREGONLIVE
and a range of digital products. Its print publications include The Oregonian
, the Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, as well as the Beaverton Leader
, the Hillsboro Argus
and the Forest Grove Leader
. As the largest media company in the state, Oregonian Media Group is also advertisers' strongest media partner, with an innovative suite of products to help them connect with their best customers.
Oregonian Media Group is a part of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the U.S. reaching more than 40 million consumers through its 12 local news and information websites that rank #1 among local media in their respective markets, and more than 30 newspapers. Our affiliated websites and newspapers are well known for their award-winning journalism. Advance Local is part of Advance Publications, along with Condé Nast and American City Business Journals.
To be a good fit for the Copy Editor opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in journalism or a relevant combination of education and experience.
- Solid experience copy editing in a newsroom. Quick question for you - click here
- A strong understanding of Associated Press (AP) style.
- Excellent grammar and spelling skills, with exceptional attention to detail.
- The ability to write creative, eye-catching headlines.
- The ability to balance efficient and accurate editing with a quick turnaround time.
- Pagination, curation and/or news editing experience would be a strong advantage.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to multi-task and prioritize a steady workload within daily deadlines.
- Strong computer and word-processing skills.
Preferred but not required:
- Knowledge of InDesign and / or InCopy.
- Online skills, such as blogging and familiarity with social networking sites.
- Familiarity with news websites and an understanding of how they drive online traffic.
- Strong visual skills with an eye for design.
- Solid news judgment.
In addition to these requirements, you should be flexible and willing to work any shift on any day of the week, including weekends.
?Pictured: The Oregonian headquarters.
Reporting to the Production Leader, you will join a talented team of ten copy editors supporting The Oregonian and several niche publications. While you could edit digital copy on occasion, you’ll focus on newsprint. On a daily basis, you will be tasked with checking stories and other content for grammar, style and journalistic standards, correcting copy, and reviewing proofs and graphics. Additionally, you’ll write headlines and do some pagination. Quick question for you - click here
More specifically, you will:
- Quickly read and edit stories for grammar and style. This will include questioning ambiguity, unclear copy and jargon, as well as noting holes in stories such as missing information, unanswered questions or other journalistic problems that require a line-editor's attention.
- Write accurate, creative headlines for either news or features.
- Proofread pages and graphics for accuracy, style consistency and common sense.
- Meet production deadlines and be an active part of a timely newsroom workflow.
- Handle other duties as assigned.
With our October launch, our work model will change as we update the traditional newsroom flow. We'll have extensive training sessions that will give you the tools you need to succeed in our dynamic environment, and you'll have the advantage of a working supervisor with a great deal of experience and a tight-knit team with an entrepreneurial mindset, creative ideas, and the desire to keep printed news relevant, to help you along.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Keys to Success
This is a new, fast-paced and evolving environment, so you'll need to be a forward-thinker and a self-starter, with the open mind and flexibility to jump on board with our new way of thinking about journalism. We'll look to all the copy editors to be proactive about seeing what needs to be done, and then stepping up to do it. To excel, you'll need to develop and maintain a broad knowledge base over a variety of subjects; we believe strongly in cross-training and helping the team develop, so you should take advantage of every opportunity. In other words, to be successful in this role, you’ll naturally need strong copy editing skills and exceptional attention to detail, but you’ll also need strong learning agility and excellent interpersonal abilities to work with multiple stakeholders. In addition, you will always be dedicated to meeting deadlines; accuracy and speed will be of the essence.
Oregonian Media Group offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes: medical, prescription drug, and dental benefits; a 401(k) Plan; life insurance and disability plans and commuter accounts.
Oregonian Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
Oregonian Media Group endeavors to make OregonLive.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.